New York Department of State (DOS) Continuing Education Requirements: Every 2 Years, ALL Licensees Must Complete 22.5 Hours of Approved Continuing Education
**License Renewal Requirements HAVE CHANGED as of September 21, 2022**
Effective September 21, 2022, as part of the 22.5 hours of continuing education required to renew both real estate salespersons and brokers will be required to complete at least 2 hours of instruction pertaining to implicit bias awareness and at least two hours of cultural competency training.
- Implicit bias is defined as the attitudes or stereotypes that affect an individual’s understanding, actions and decisions in an unconscious manner.
- Cultural competency is defined as understanding cultural norms, preferences and challenges within our diverse communities.
As of September 21, 2022
Required Courses (CORE)
*Agency is a 2-hour requirement if it is your first license cycle, and you would then have 10 hours of electives
New York Department of State (DOS) Requirements for Continuing Education:
All licensees must successfully complete 22.5 hours of approved continuing education.
- New licensing requirements took effect on July 1, 2021
- There is no more “grandfathering”, meaning ALL LICENSEES MUST COMPLY WITH THE CE REQUIREMENTS
- All licensees must complete 22.5 hours of continuing education including:
- 3 hours of fair housing education
- 1 hour agency education (2 hours if in 1st license cycle)
- 2.5 hours of ethical business practices
- 1 hour of recent legal matters
- 2 hours of Implicit Bias education (effective September 21, 2022)*
- 2 hours of Cultural Competency education (effective September 21, 2022)*
*If your real estate license expiration date is September 21, 2022, or later, you must also complete these requirements in order to renew your license.
Click here for HGAR Continuing Education Course offerings.