Speaking Up When It Counts
HGAR takes an active role every day to protect REALTOR and Homeowner interests. HGAR’s Government Affairs department and the HGAR leadership team work actively to protect REALTOR interests at the local, state and national level.
We work to promote pro-REALTOR legislation and to defeat legislation that would adversely affect consumers, homeowners, Realtors and the real estate industry.
In addition, we participate actively in the REALTORS Political Action Committee (RPAC). The Realtors® Political Action Committee makes legislative advocacy possible. Formed in 1969, RPAC works to elect pro-Realtor® candidates at the local, state and federal levels. RPAC is supported by voluntary contributions from Realtors® across the nation. RPAC is committed to supporting candidates and issues important to your profession and your livelihood.
HGAR is proud to support RPAC, because our mission is to protect and serve homebuyers and sellers. Here is what RPAC has done for you:
- Fought for a study to enact a First-time Home Buyer Savings Account (NY First Home) in New York State
- Defeated proposed statewide transfer tax increases in 2018
- Through RPAC, HGAR fought for STAR savings for New York State’s homeowners, a two percent tax cap, lower closing costs, and limits on flood-insurance rate increases
- RPAC stopped private transfer fees on real estate transactions
- RPAC defeated a proposal requiring a 20 percent down payment on a home purchase
These are meaningful accomplishments that have a profound effect on homebuyers and sellers in the Hudson Valley and New York State.
RPAC protects the real estate industry and for the public’s ability to own and maintain a home. HGAR and RPAC work every day to keep the American Dream of home ownership alive and well. It’s an insurance policy for you — and your clients.
View the full list of Legislative Priorities that are promoted at the Local, State and National Levels
- Hudson Gateway Association of REALTORS®, INC. Legislative Priorities
- New York State Association of REALTORS®, (NYSAR) NYSAR LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIES
- National Association of REALTORS® (NAR), Legislative Priorities
County Government Links:
- Westchester County Government
- Putnam County Government
- Rockland County Government
- Orange County Government
- Manhattan Borough President
Contributions are not deductible for income tax purposes. Contributions to RPAC are voluntary and are used for political purposes. You may contribute more or less than the suggested amount. You may refuse to contribute without reprisal and the National Association of REALTORS, the New York State Association of REALTORS or any of its local boards or associations will not favor or disfavor any member because of the amount contributed. 70% of each contribution is used by your state PAC to support state and local political candidates. Until your NYSAR PAC reaches its PAC goal, 30% is sent to National RPAC to support federal candidates and is charged against your limits under 2 U.S.C. 441a; after NYSAR PAC reaches its RPAC goal, it may elect to retain your entire contribution for use in supporting state and local candidates.